Wednesday, July 2, 2008

THE THRILL OF THE HUNT
















Lowell and I have enjoyed hunting for treasures at garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets and auctions over the years. We buy something of interest and turn around and resell on ebay. Have done this for about 10 years and is great extra income. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZturnabout01
Nothing can get the heart a pounding then to spot a rare first edition book at a sale. We have sold books for over 15 years and I still get goose bumps when I spot something special. We are spreading out into different areas of hunting since good books are getting harder and harder to find.

One of the delights of having the RV is the ability to stop and check out thrift stores in different parts of the country. We have hunted in California, Oklahoma , Illinois , Wisconsin and Minnesota so far.

A great past time while in Minnesota is to spend Monday evenings at Luther's Auctions in North St. Paul , Minnesota. Friendly people, food on the site from a Catering company and a treasure or two hiding in the bottom of a box. Recently found 2 Vintage high top boots and 2 White cotton ladies outfits all from the 1920's era among vintage linens. We now will be leaving Minnesota for California and I will miss those monday night outings. http://www.lutherauctions.com/. Check out the site and if you find yourself in the area stop in and say Lowell and Grace from California sent you . With all the people they meet they will probably say " huh" but so what I and you know I sent you.

We will visit the flea market at Elco New Market in Minnesota on July 4th then will say good bye to Minnesota till next year. We were there for Memorial day with friends David and Cheryl. My find of the day was a red and white swimsuit from the early 1900's. I showed it to the granddaughters and they thought it was the ugliest thing they have ever seen. I looked at this vintage swimsuit ( yes it does look like a clown suit ) and I saw fashion history.

If you are interested in finding flea markets or thrift stores around the country check out these sites. http://www.thethriftshopper.com/, http://www.keysfleamarket.com/ along with these sites and our GPS we are in hunting heaven.

We thought of closing our apartment before we left California but decided we should try Rving for a couple of months and make sure that we could live in such close quarters. It is crowded with boxes of items we have found, but I find enjoyment sitting outside at a picnic table with my computer.
We have enjoyed out time traveling, spending time close to the grandchildren, hunting different areas so we have decided to head back to California, give up our apartment, sell off most of our belongings and take the big jump of full time RVing.

Spooky the cat is not sure she likes this idea but I am sure she will put up with it and us as long as Lowell continues to give her Tuna , she is with us and she has her place at the head of the bed .
Well good bye for now. We are off to Canterbury Race Track in Minnesota to bet a couple of ponies, see grandchild #9 Carter and grandchild #13 Kennedy for the last time this year.
I will let you know how we did tomorrow.
Keep on with your own adventure.
Joke of the day ..

I've sure gotten old. I've had two By-pass surgeries. A hip replacement, new knees. Fought prostate cancer, and diabetes. I'm half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts. Have bouts with dementia. Have poor circulation, hardly feel my hands and feet anymore. Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92. Have lost all my friends.But.....Thank God, I still have my Florida driver's license!

No comments: